Skip to main content

Seeing Ourselves

This afternoon was full of noticing ourselves and what we look like. As K approached the table, she saw the mirrors and playdoh. She took the time to knead out the dough and place it in the container. When asked "can you make your face?" she got right to work. 


"Look, I got my eyes, my nose, some eyebrows, and a mouth. I don't know what I will do for hair. I don't know how to make it."


J took a different approach for her self portrait. She grabbed different materials to make imprints into the dough. J worked carefully as she pressed each ring in for her eyes and delicately pulled them out. She used a thin straw to make her mouth, pupils, and hair. 

"It's me! I made my hair, and my eyes, and my mouth."



B also liked pushing the jewels into the dough and pulling them out to create his eyes. He glanced up at the mirror every once in awhile and giggled at his reflection. 


W focused on creating his nose. He chose several different jewels before placing the exact one he wanted to represent his nose. He talked briefly about needing eyes and a mouth. 

"I have a nose, a mouth, and eyes."

\

During capers J circled back to the playdoh to create yet another representation of herself. She would look in the mirror and comment on what she needed. 

"I use these for my eyes. I made dots for the eyes too."


She dug deep into the playdoh scraping the excess away and finally revealing the playdoh face's smile. 

"Look this is the mouth."




"I used these for the hair. It looks like my hair. The rings are my makeup and I have eyebrows too."

Many of the Pine friends looked at their facial physical features with intent. They noticed their eyes, noses, mouths, and hair. What else can we see in the mirror? Are we missing anything? How else can we see ourselves? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 Pine Room Fun!

For our invitations we have our small world were we can tell stories about what our families like to do outside. In our dramatic play we are showing how we can care for others, including our baby dolls. Outside we are checking out how fun our giant snail and mud kitchen are.

Celebration!

Happy Monday! Today we started something new before dismissing to go home. Instead of reading a book or shaking our sillies out, we are going to start celebrating our successes for the day! We start off by dancing to Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" and then move into talking about something to celebrate that happened at school. Because it was the first day, it was a little difficult to think of something to celebrate. I imagine by Thursday the ideas will be flowing! Enjoy the dance party from today's first celebration! 

Cookin' in the Mud Kitchen

  It's always fun to watch kids engage in pretend play at school. One of my favorite places to observe their play is on the hillside in the mud kitchen. It is a place that every child seems to know exactly what to do with the materials inside. Today, L took the time to problem solve a few things and show off her cooking skills in the kitchen.  She started off by serving some of her friends and then getting back to work. In the video you can see how she navigates the environment with ease, but also takes the time to problem solve where she will get more "food." She encounters some barriers, but with a little guidance she pursued and stuck with the activity most of our time out on the hillside. She made comments to her friends, asked questions, and engaged in a lot of self talk.  Pretend play is such an important part of development for all young children. It expands play skills and gives them a little taste of what the world is like outside of school.  Have a safe, fu...