Skip to main content

Families

Today our conversation regarding our skin color continued, but evolved a little bit. Instead of just talking about our own skin, the kids started talking about their families. 

"Well, I have brown skin and so does my mom and my brother. My dad has white skin!" 
"My mom and I are white, and my dad and sister are really tan!"
"My family all has brown skin like me. My mom is a little different brown though. My baby sisters look like me!"

We got out the skin tone colored crayons and the kids carefully chose the colors they needed to represent their families. 


"I need the tan ones because I am kind of tan and so is my mom. My dad and sister are darker than us so I need to use like a darker brown. I need the black too because they have dark hair. I have brown hair and my mom has like brownish hair but it's also kind of yellow."



S worked on her family portrait as well. She, too, noted that she needed different colored crayons to represent her family as well. 
"My dad is white and my brother kind of has skin like peanut butter like me. My mom has dark brown skin. I need to make my mom and dad and then Miles." 



Each child worked on their family portraits and adding as many details as possible. When they were unable to find the color they needed, they improvised. It's been so insightful to represent our children and their families in our classroom. Check out our bulletin board next week to see more family portraits! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 Pine Room Fun!

For our invitations we have our small world were we can tell stories about what our families like to do outside. In our dramatic play we are showing how we can care for others, including our baby dolls. Outside we are checking out how fun our giant snail and mud kitchen are.

Welcome to week 2

 Welcome back Pine Families to week 2! We will continue exploring how we can play and care for friends and family.

Happy First Day of School 24-25!

 Welcome Pine Families to our 24-25 school year! We are so happy to have your kiddos back in our room. It is so amazing to see how much they have grown physically AND socially, emotionally, and academically!