Skip to main content

"I Made Me With a Mask!"

 What a hot Tuesday afternoon! While we did spend a bit of time outside, it did not compare to the kind of fun we had inside! Before our afternoon meeting, J helped Ms. Margie make some playdoh for the boys to play with this week. He was extremely curious and wanted to help so bad! J patiently waited as Ms. Margie gathered all of the materials and ingredients. 

J helped pour in each ingredient at a time. As he poured them in he commented on what he observed. 


"Look! It kind of smells. It has lots of bumps on it."





"I'm making a rainbow! Look , see it? It's a blue rainbow!"



"I want to put more flour. I can pour it!"




"It's on my hands! Get it off!"
J noticed how sticky the playdoh was and was not too happy with the stickiness, but with some added flour it became the desired consistency! 


Once J completed each step and made sure there weren't any sticky parts left, he told L to come play too. 




"I'm making an animal bed! Goodnight dinosaur. I have to cover him all up!"


L got my attention and pointed to his playdoh pile. 
"Look, I made me! He's happy and I am happy too. Well he is missing something. I need to give him a mask like me."

L quickly scanned the table and found some extra playdoh. He rolled some out, flattened it, and placed it gently over the smile. 



"There! Look, it's me! He just has a blue mask and mine looks like this." 

This small interaction had me thinking about the self portraits we create each year. I wonder how the kids will represent themselves on paper. Will they draw themselves wearing a mask? Will kids, like L, continue to find ways to represent themselves wearing masks? These are questions I hope to continue to explore over the next few weeks and months. Looking forward to being able to find the possibilities.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 Pine Room Fun!

For our invitations we have our small world were we can tell stories about what our families like to do outside. In our dramatic play we are showing how we can care for others, including our baby dolls. Outside we are checking out how fun our giant snail and mud kitchen are.

Celebration!

Happy Monday! Today we started something new before dismissing to go home. Instead of reading a book or shaking our sillies out, we are going to start celebrating our successes for the day! We start off by dancing to Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" and then move into talking about something to celebrate that happened at school. Because it was the first day, it was a little difficult to think of something to celebrate. I imagine by Thursday the ideas will be flowing! Enjoy the dance party from today's first celebration! 

Cookin' in the Mud Kitchen

  It's always fun to watch kids engage in pretend play at school. One of my favorite places to observe their play is on the hillside in the mud kitchen. It is a place that every child seems to know exactly what to do with the materials inside. Today, L took the time to problem solve a few things and show off her cooking skills in the kitchen.  She started off by serving some of her friends and then getting back to work. In the video you can see how she navigates the environment with ease, but also takes the time to problem solve where she will get more "food." She encounters some barriers, but with a little guidance she pursued and stuck with the activity most of our time out on the hillside. She made comments to her friends, asked questions, and engaged in a lot of self talk.  Pretend play is such an important part of development for all young children. It expands play skills and gives them a little taste of what the world is like outside of school.  Have a safe, fu...